Book Now

Sorry our booking system is not available at the moment, try again shortly.

About Us

The original building had a large lead roof hence the name Leadenhall, and although it’s not certain it was built as a public place- by the end of the 14th century it was firmly established as a market and for many years was the site of the City granary.Unfortunately the original Leadenhall was badly damaged in the Great Fire of 1666 and was rebuilt in its present form by Sir Horace Jones. It continued to function as a market as the majority of the traders were fishmongers and butchers and even today there remains a butcher in Central Avenue.

Please be aware we have no step free access in the pub & do not have accessible toilets.

The Lamb Tavern site itself has grander origins than the 14th century market. It directly overlies the Roman Londinium Basilica, which was a large building used by the Romans for judicial and commercial purposes. Built in 50AD and then rebuilt in 120AD, the Basilica was then the largest building of its kind except for the Basilica Ulpia in Rome itself. It was over 500ft in length (about the size of St Paul's) and to the south lay the forum filled with a whole host of stalls, shops and workshops selling goods and services to those who used the Basilica.

The Lamb Tavern as a place to take refreshment adjacent to the market continues the tradition first established in Roman Britain almost 2000 years ago.