the Lamb Tavern
The original market building in which we call home, had a large lead roof hence the name Leadenhall, and although it’s not certain it was built as a public place, by the end of the 14th century it was firmly established as a market and for many years was the site of the City granary. Unfortunately the original Leadenhall was badly damaged in the Great Fire of 1666 and was rebuilt in its present form by Sir Horace Jones. It continued to function as a market with the majority of the traders being fishmongers and butchers; even today there remains a butcher in Central Avenue.
The site itself has grander origins than the 14th century market. Built in 50AD and then rebuilt in 120AD, by the romans, it formed part of the Basilica, which was then the largest building of its kind except for the Basilica Ulpia in Rome itself.
The Lamb Tavern became a pub in 1780 and started as a private house selling real ale. After it was purchased by Young’s, it became famous for selling its own beer to the public and continues to do so up to the present day. We’ve continued our partnership with Young’s as an ever-popular hotspot for proper pub grub, carvery and real ale in the hub of the city.